Monday, March 9, 2015

100 Francs for Freedom!!

Hello Everyone!

How are you!? The sun is still shining and the work is still continuing forward so all is well! This week has been a very eventful one! I won't take up too much of your time and I'll let you get back to work so just be attentive for a few short minutes!

First story of the week was that I got robbed! Ha ha, now don’t freak out; it wasn’t that bad.  To start off, there are a lot of crazy Cameroon and we call them les foux and they are everywhere and they really like white people and especially missionaries.  Well, we were at a members house when this old lady was walking by. Elder Mwehu pointed at her and said "Oh, elle est fou!" and that she would chase us if she saw us. And sure enough, she saw us and came after us so we fled into the member's home thinking that she wouldn’t follow us, but she did! So, we were on the couch and she started to demand money and we said we didn’t have any, but she began to try and search my bag and my pockets. At this point, I was terrified and Elder Mwehu was just laughing because he had dealt with her before. And so finally we gave her 100 francs and she went on her way. Not bad at all but now I can say that I have been robbed.

Another experience I had was with one of our investigators. I said to myself, "I need to put myself into his shoes." Then I really thought about all the things that he had going on. He can't speak French really well, he can't read or write, his wife is really sick, and he can't get off from work to come to church. I was just taken aback at all of the things that he had going on and wondered how I could possibly help him, but sometimes there are things that even we can't do as missionaries. Sometimes the best thing that we can do is tell people to turn to Christ because He will always be there for us and He will always know what we are feeling and how He can help us.

Finally, there are some things that I learned in my personal study this week. I studied a lot on what I need to be doing, and how I can improve my study. As I was studying and thinking, I thought that I should go through things in Preach my Gospel and The Book of Mormon too quickly. After thinking a little further, I thought that I need to set a goal to apply the doctrines of the Book of Mormon in my life, but in order to do that I need to become better at setting and keeping goals. I've always dreamed of being great but I know that the only way that I will become great is by working. So, a few days later I was studying on how I could become more patient. I read a passage in the Book of Mormon and it said that the people prayed so that they could be more patient. So, I set a goal that when I get frustrated, I would say a prayer then set a goal to  follow through with this goal. And as I went through the next few days, I actually followed through and you know what, it helped a lot! I'm by no means perfect, but it helped out so much. This life is a life of progression, so that means we always need to be improving. It may seem daunting but with the help of the Lord, we can do all things. (Ether 12:27).

Well, that is all that I have for you this week. I hope that you all have a great week! Congrats to the NWC men's basketball team for winning regionals!!  Thank you for everyone that wrote me and all that you do for me. I love you all so much! Someone go eat some wings for Elder West and me!!!

And p.s..... for my little brother, don’t make me come to the US from Africa cause you are wearing my cat shoes. Love you!

Love,
Elder Legerski

No comments:

Post a Comment