Monday, March 30, 2015

Lots to learn on a mission!

Hello everyone!

I hope you know that we had one day this week when the sun was not blazing hot! We had one day where it rained a light drizzle all day long:) This week was a really busy one, like always, but it was a lot of fun even if some days were hard. I want to say thank you to everyone who wrote me I appreciate it so much! Also, thanks to my family for the box that you sent me...I enjoyed it so much! And unfortunately, most of the food is already gone:(

For those of you who saw me in the traditional African garb, its called an abooboo (I think that’s how you spell it). Originally it was M uslim garb. Here in Cameroon there are a lot of Muslims! But over time, it was integrated into the African culture and I have been searching for one in the marche and finally I found one! Better yet, its Wyoming Cowboy colors! But this week I'm really going to focus on the things I learned.

Elder Legerski's Wyoming Cowboy colored African Abooboo

One day I was reading in Nephi about the tree of life. While I did this, I was using a study guide that we have. Now many of us know the vision that Lehi had and then Nephi explains it a few chapters later. But I learned something very important when I was reading it recently. The tree of life is a representation of the love of God. Because God loves us so much, He sent us His only begotten son, Jesus Christ. When Jesus Christ was here on this earth, he made his atoning sacrifice so that we could obtain eternal life. So, in short, I learned that the tree of life actually represents the Atonement of Jesus Christ. And when each of us partakes of the fruit, we partake of a little piece of the Atonement. And as we partake of the Atonement, that is what allows us to obtain eternal life. This just blew my mind! I had never thought of it like this before and it just reinforced my testimony that all the things in this church are extensions of the Atonement. Because of this, the Atonement is the single most important event in all of history. Then I thought about the path to the tree of life. I thought how a path is 2 ways. Sometimes we partake of the fruit for a time and we are happy but then we see the things of the world so we go back out into the darkness. There, we don’t hold to the iron rod and we become lost. But we can always find our way back, through prayer, reading the scriptures, and attending church. I bear my testimony that all things are possible. We just have to learn to trust in God and to do His will.

Now for the second thing that happened at church this week. In "Preach my Gospel", it talks about how missionaries should sit and stay with amis (investigators) at church. Now I'm not too great at doing this, but this week I told myself that I would make more of an effort . So in all of the meetings, I sat next to at least one of our amis, because we had 5 there. But I was so amazed by the difference it made! Church was a whole lot more interesting! It's funny how changing one little thing in our life can make a difference. And when you're on a mission, there are so many little things that you have to do that it makes it really hard!

That’s all that I have for you this week! Thank you everyone that wrote me again. Also, thanks to former Sister Unrast for the talks...I really enjoy them! I hope everyone has a great week this week! And for the record, I got Kentucky winning March madness! Bishop, I expect dinner when I get back home. Someone go eat some red noodles for me and read the vision of the tree of life! I love you all so much!

Elder Legerski

No comments:

Post a Comment